File recovery

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mac7, Aug 20, 2011.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

So last night I finally upgraded to lion. Clean install, everything went smooth. Ran migration assistant, selected for everything to transfer ( music, pictures, documents..) so I let it run for about 2 hours. So thinking everythin was transferred over, I went ahead and formatted my old partition and resized the new lion partition. I then go and look at my music folder.......nothing! Nothing was there! I check pictures folder.....nothing! The only things that transferred were apps and docs.

Is there any way I can recover my music and photos?????

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I'm not familiar with HFS+ file recovery, but your first step is to STOP USING THE DRIVE YOU WANT TO RECOVER FROM.

Sorry for the caps, but un-plug it and don't use it in any way until you know what tools your going to be using. And when plugged in, see if you can mount it as read-only (that way the active file system does not overwrite anything).

3. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I'm currently running Data Rescue 3. Hopefully I can salvage something.

4. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

I got the files back, but none of them will open.

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

What were the results? None would open?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I got the files back, but none of them will open."

Are they "properly named" with the correct file extension?

Example:
    - A file of a pic you want to open
    - Assuming that it is a "jpeg" file, does it have the extension ".jpg" or ".jpeg" after the name?
    - Can you right-click on it, and choose an app from the "Open with...." contextual menu that appears?

Moral of the story (too late to matter this time, but good for NEXT time):
    When you do a major file transfer, such as with Migration Assistant, in the future, ALWAYS do a "test boot and file check" BEFORE you "burn your bridges behind you".

7. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Data Rescue 3 LE

I am having amazing results using DR3 on an unmountable external. Beautiful UI and saved all my data!

8. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If you don't care with text-only UI but free software, try Photorec. It restores everything from your hard drive (without prompting) so have a lot of free space in the drive where you're planning to store recovered files.