File rename based on file contents--possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Brutalbrutus, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Brutalbrutus macrumors newbie

Hi, everyone. I'm having a problem with obscure filenames. I have a library of legal forms in which the forms are in separate folders marked "Chapter 1," "Chapter 2," etc. (rather than the actual names of the different chapters, such as "Commerical Law," "Family Law," etc.) and within those folders the individual files have names such as 1_1.rtf, 1_2.rtf, 1_3.rtf. So it's very clear that all of those files belong in the Chapter 1 folder but there is no indication whatsoever about the nature of the individual forms.

Using Tembo, which I find to be more robust than Spotlight, I searched for "Promissory Note,"--the form I was looking for--and got about twenty filenames, but all of them named according to the "23_3.rtf" convention.

This is what file renamers are for, yes? Is there any way to "program" a file renamer to look at the first line of the file and to name the file according to that first line? (Each of the legal forms, once you open it, has a meaningful title in its first line.)

Any suggestions along these lines would be most appreciated. If not a file renamer, then . . . some sort of Workflow or script?

Many thanks. Brutalbrutus

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For renaming large numbers of files/folders, I use Name Mangler and I've heard good things about NameChanger. I know Name Mangler has some advanced scripting features, but I haven't experimented with them. You might find something useful by checking it out.

3. Brutalbrutus thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for those two suggestions. I'll check them out.

Brutalbrutus :)