File rename util required

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pmalbs, Jun 19, 2009.

1. pmalbs macrumors newbie

Morning all,

We have just implemented a windows server into or networking environment for cenrtal mail and storage functionality.

Obviously there is the issue of storing MAC files with characters that windows does not support, which is fine as we have used a great util that trolled through all of the MAC files/folders and batch renamed them. However, our clients give us files and folders to process that do contain illegal windows characters, so when we try to store them on the windows server, we have to rename them as we go.

I want to try and make this process as automated as possible, the clients wont change the way that they create files etc, so I was wondering if anyone has seen an application that will allow the user to point to the folder that contains the files to be renamed and when actioned, will automatically rename the files/folders AND then move them to a predefined location on the windows server.

Any comments or advice would be very appreciated.

Many thanks!

2. Arne macrumors regular

If I'm not mistaken, Automator should do what you need.

3. pmalbs thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that but I cant see how it would do the things I need.

I cant discount the fact that I may have missed something, but I've had a good look and cant see how.

Any suffestions?

Thanks

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

search macupdate.com or versiontracker.com for "rename"