Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tokolosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Hi, I work with video files over a shared network. Freelancers have my computer login so we could transfer files to each other. I'd like to limit the access to some of my personal folders and hard drives. What would be the best solution for me? My computer knowledge is a bit basic.

Many thanks for reading my post.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for your answer, do you mind saying how to do this?

If you open Finder and go to Macintosh HD then look for the /Users folder you will see a folder there called Shared. What you could do it setup another user account on your Mac and then you and the other users can leave files in that Shared folder and you both can access them, but they would not be able to see files in your account. Would that accomplish what you are after?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Thanks for your answer, do you mind saying how to do this?

Weaselboy explained how to share files across accounts. Do you need to know how to create additional accounts? If so, go into System Preferences and then Users and Groups. Click o. The plus to add another user. Make them non-admin. While you're at it, change your password so they don't know it.

tokolosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks very much. I can create a new account. I need to let users go into a few drives on my computer rather then one folder. Is there a way to set it up?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks very much. I can create a new account. I need to let users go into a few drives on my computer rather then one folder. Is there a way to set it up?

Ordinarily other users will be able to see other drives unless you have somehow intentionally restricted access to them. Open System Preferences then look in the Sharing pane. You can turn on file sharing there and add folders there to share and setup who can access those folders.

tokolosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Ordinarily other users will be able to see other drives unless you have somehow intentionally restricted access to them. Open System Preferences then look in the Sharing pane. You can turn on file sharing there and add folders there to share and setup who can access those folders.

Thanks,

Would I make a new user name that others will log in to using a password and restrict that users hard drives access? Everyone in our network has a username and a password to their computer.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks,

Would I make a new user name that others will log in to using a password and restrict that users hard drives access? Everyone in our network has a username and a password to their computer.

By default a new user account will only be able to see their own user folder plus the Shared folder I mentioned earlier. The file sharing setting I mentioned would be say if you wanted to share your Documents folder with a particular user.

I'm not quite sure I understand how you have other drive setup or what you are trying to do with them?

tokolosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Thanks for your answer. The problem is that if the files are shared in the way you described everyone can log onto those files without a password. I'd like to limit the access to only people that I give the password to. I hope that makes sense

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks for your answer. The problem is that if the files are shared in the way you described everyone can log onto those files without a password. I'd like to limit the access to only people that I give the password to. I hope that makes sense

You can do that in that File Sharing pane. Just make a folder called videos or whatever in your Documents folder then add it to the shared list and also add on the user names of who you want to have read/write access to that folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.