File & Settings Syncing without .Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CavemanUK, Oct 6, 2007.

1. CavemanUK macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Hi,

recently ive begun using 2 Macs for my work. A Macbook Pro for outside work and an iMac Alu for work at the office. I would like to find the simplest way possible of replicating my Office Desktop on the MBP. Something that will auto synchronise when the MBP is on the office network?

I saw something called picnic which was quite good but only did files (and I was a little miffed that they angle it so you have to purchase it twice to even use it). Picnic had this idea of using Bonjour which I thought was great but it didnt do settings...

Basically, I would like a package that can synchronise the following...

Documents
    Desktop
    Pictures (including iPhoto although not sure its possible to sync iPhoto if changes have been made in both locations)
    Music (same with iTunes as iPhoto)
    Email settings
    iCal
    Address Book

Anyone know an easy way to do this?

2. CavemanUK thread starter macrumors 6502

CavemanUK

Yeah, looked at chronosync (although havent installed it).. from the website it seems it wont do exactly what I wanted...

For example, Syncronisation wont be seemless as I would need to either remember mount the other computer or run one of the machines in target mode.

It also doesnt sync settings (that I can see).

But its definately a fallback option if I can't find a good one...

Surely this type of syncronisation is becoming needed more and more as it seems a lot more people have both desktop and laptop. Someone should work on making a kickass killer "apple" style app.