File-sharers' TV tastes revealed

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by edesignuk, Aug 28, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Interesting.

2. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I wonder if part of the reason Heroes and Lost account for so much of that is their remarkable ability to keep you on edge for next week's episode. Being able to watch one right after the other can be very satisfying.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

I completely agree. It just runs with the storyline for there to be cliff-hangers at the end of each episode.

With Top Gear it's a different story... I've never seen Top Gear for sale on DVD (other than the 'specials'), so I think the majority of people download Top Gear because they want to start a collection of the episodes.

4. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

[​IMG]

Also, I don't see why the BBC would care, their money comes from TV licenses, which people pay weather or not they download their shows for torrent sites.

Also, torrenting TV shows should be legal. After all, we can record TV shows in full quality into a un-DRM'd file, which I can then transfer to my Mac if I wanted... So why can't I download them?

EDIT: Plus, mscriv brought up the very good point that the TV channels themselves offer the shows as streaming content online for free, and the BBC will even let me download the shows too. So, again, why can't I torrent TV shows?

5. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

In Norway we have to wait for maybe 6 months or longer until a TV-show appears on our screens, if it ever does. No wonder we download.

6. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I really don't get what all the fuss is about here. Both Heroes and Lost have episodes available online to watch in full for free through their network websites (ABC & NBC) The networks themselves are making this content available for free over the internet. I also agree that there is little difference between me using my DVR, DVD recorder, or VCR as opposed to finding the file to download somewhere online. I understand that it's copyrighted material, but it's also publicly broadcast for free consumption. Now premium networks that charge for content like HBO and other "cable" networks do have a beef. This is an old argument/debate, but it always gets attention because our technology outpaces our laws.

7. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

I think torrenting TV shows is illegal because your source is not the official broadcaster.

If you record it onto your DVD or video cassette or watch it from the broadcaster's website is legit because you are recording/watching it from a official licence owner.