Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nextitsolutions

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2011
UK
File sharing

What OS is on the iMac because the instructions you followed are for v 10.5, for 10.6 I'd make sure file sharing is ticked in system preferences and that the drive is added to the shared list in the same system preferences location,
Then I would map it as a network drive on the Win 7 system.

That works for me.

Hope this helps

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I am using Lion
Under System Preferences, I do have a check under File Sharing.
I added the entire drive (USB Connected Drive) and under "Users" to the right, I see my name (twice) and "Everyone" but the Read & Write options are greyed out. I cannot select them.

Now, on the top, I do see the address
afp://192.168...
but when I go to my windows machine and try to map the drive under tools, map network drive, I get
"Windows cannot access afp://192.168... etc.

I could have sworn I tested this before with another drive and it showed it, but I had removed that drive and placed a new one, now it doesn't work.

iqwertyi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
I want to add,
when I click on options, I see "Share files and folder using AFP" and Share files and folders using SMP (Windows)" checked

Underneath, there's an account with my name and checked. When I try to uncheck it (to test), it prompts me for my password, but it doesn't uncheck?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.