File sharing between mbp and imac on same network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by miki66, Dec 3, 2009.

1. miki66 macrumors 6502

miki66

I've figured out the way to share between two macs by enabling "file sharing" to "everyone" connected to the same network. Suppose there're three macs in the network, A,B,C. Is it possible, however, just to share files in A with B and leave C unaccessible to A and B? To put this in short, may I share files to a specific user on the network instead of everyone?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Three computers on one network.

A and B share each other, but C doesn't share anything with A and B....

You can select on each Mac what to share and to which user to share.

If each Mac has unique users, that is possible.

[​IMG]

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1549

3. miki66 thread starter macrumors 6502

miki66

Thanks for the quick response. A has only 1 user account, B has 1 admin and 1 guest account, C whatever. Is it not possible now?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What I mean by different accounts is not their type, but the actual username.

I have four Macs and all have a user (the main one) with the same username (eg. quant).

If I connect from Mac A to Mac B to D, I can use the username and password from Mac A to connect to all the shared data (the one I allow to be shared on the different Macs per the Sharing preferences and privileges like read and write) on Mac B to D. And vise versa from Mac C to Mac A, B and D, and so on.

Of course this also possible with different accounts and user names and passwords on all four Macs, but having for different accounts, usernames and passwords on all of them makes it harder for user of Mac A to connect to Mac C with the username and password from Mac A, as Mac C uses different ones, which only user of Mac C or maybe user of Mac B knows, but user of Mac A doesn't know them.

Was that in any way understandable?