File Sharing Between Two Macs

Discussion in 'macOS' started by moe darklight, Jun 25, 2008.

1. moe darklight macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure this out for the past hour now: how do I share a folder (wirelessly) between two macs?

Thanks.

2. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Its automatic, isn't it? Just enable File Sharing in System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing and then add the folder in question to the "Shared Folders" list.

Here:
    [​IMG]

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

You'll need to create a computer to computer network.

Select "Create Network..." from the Airport menu on the computer that has the file you want to share and click ok to create the computer to computer network. You'll see the name for the sharing computer which should be your user name by default. Set up file sharing as described in taylorwilsdon's post.

On the machine that will connect to the file sharing computer, select the Airport menu and you should see the name of the sharing computer momentarily (after it finishes scanning). Select it and you should be good to go. You'll see your sharing computer in the finder sidebar.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's no need to create a network. Just turn on file sharing.

5. moe darklight thread starter macrumors newbie

6. silentk knight macrumors newbie

silentk knight

ok i tried this & a friend of mine tried it and it asked us for a password. it wasnt the main admin password either. i dont even know how many charecters its supposed to be so i gave up. i need a way to keep my mini & MB files synced. also my calenders and address book as well.

7. Xavier macrumors 68020

You will be prompted with the login ID and password for the user you wish to login as when you successfully connect to the other computer. This is normal.

I do this all the time when exchanging files.

8. silentk knight macrumors newbie

silentk knight

that sounds right, but when i input the user name and pw it never works. also my interface doesnt look like the one shown earlier in this section. its close but i dont think it shows a list of users