File sharing, can't access exFAT or NTFS partitions?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MaxBurn, Feb 17, 2012.

1. MaxBurn, Feb 17, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2012

MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

I set up file sharing like I thought I should and ran into this problem, then I checked what I did against this guide and I seem to have done it right. Thing is I can't access my bootcamp (NTFS) or second hard drive (exFAT) via OSX file sharing. I tried from two win 7 computers and one server 2008 machine, all give the same errors.

When accessing the bootcamp partition (NTFS): check the spelling of the name, otherwise there might be a problem with your network.

When accessing the second drive (exFAT): is not accessible, you might not have permission to access this network resource.

Is this normal?

I can access shared folders on the OSX volume fine.

Edit: I also noticed that when I set permissions on the exFAT partition they permissions don't stay. If I limit everyone but myself and close the sharing preferences and then reopen it it will be back to what it was before I made changes. Really seems broken.

2. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Is this a lion problem or just never intended to work in the first place?

3. jpmcnown macrumors member

In the end, you are going to told that this is not a supported setup. Of course there is NO reason to set up an ExFat partition in OSX other than to have a volume accessible to both OSX and Windows, but the moment you tell em that you can't access the drive from Windows, the support ends, and is cause of your problem is said to be Windows.

Your problem is NOT Windows, but OSX. At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy nut, Something within OSX deliberately prohibits the access of a local ExFat partition shared over the network ONLY when accessed by Windows PC's. Use another Mac, and you'll have no problems, but again, why would someone use ExFat on a Mac, if not to have the drive accessed by Windows? They wouldn't. So it begs the question, why even have the option in OSX to set up ExFat, if you can't use it as it was intended?