File sharing fails between 2 Macs

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by macmyworld, Jul 20, 2014.

1. macmyworld macrumors regular

macmyworld

I've had trouble with file sharing since I started using Mavericks when it came out.

I have two Macs. An iMac which has an external drive connected to it, and a Macbook Retina. I use the iMac to store everything including pictures, iTunes, and files.

When I do a clean reboot of the Macbook, it sees the iMac and shows all the shared stuff. After a while (especially after sleeping), the finder window on the Macbook with shows "Connection Failed" or an empty window when I click on the iMac.

I can still get screen sharing to work, but that is it. AFP and SMB are checked on for both machines. Bizarre since it works some of the time.

No other issues on my network. Problem occurs with wired or wireless connections.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I had file sharing issues as well when I switched to Mavericks. The way I fixed it was to delete all users and set them up again. Works fine now. All I can remember is its in Sys Prefs/Accounts. Was not obvious from my recollection.

3. JayKyte macrumors newbie

Just had similar issues , try turning off AFP and leave SMB on......

4. macmyworld thread starter macrumors regular

macmyworld

Just tried it. Made it worse. Now it won't connected on reboot. I get Connection Failed all the time.

5. JayKyte macrumors newbie

you turned it off on both devices ?

6. macmyworld thread starter macrumors regular

macmyworld

Yes I did. Just flipped it back on (AFP) and the original issue has returned.