File sharing from external hd on mac mini to windows 7

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by TurtMcGurt, Mar 25, 2012.

1. TurtMcGurt macrumors newbie

So I want to use my mini as my media hub for my home. Most of my stuff is on a NTFS formatted external hard drive plugged in to the mini. I added it to the shared folders list in the file sharing menu in system preferences. When I try to access it from a windows machine I can see it along with my other shared folders, but I get an error when I try to open it. I also use this drive for backup with time machine and I noticed that I can access the time machine partition from a windows machine even though I can't access the rest of it. I'm hoping I wont have to re-format the whole drive to Mac OS extended to use it so if you know if/how I can, help a brother out. Thanks.

2. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

3. TurtMcGurt thread starter macrumors newbie

<drive\path> is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this sever to find out if you have access permissions.

An unexpected network error occurred.

4. TheAppleSource macrumors regular

TheAppleSource

In the file sharing menu of system preferences, what users have you given permission to access the external drive, and what permissions have you given them?

5. TurtMcGurt thread starter macrumors newbie

Only myself. I am logging in as the admin of the Mac from the pc. I can access all other files in shared folders, just not the ones from the ntfs partition of the hard drive.

R/w permissions