File Sharing from Win7 to Leopard

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jrsx, Feb 3, 2014.

1. jrsx macrumors 65816

jrsx

I have been trying to file share with an Acer laptop, and tried connecting to the Windows 7 laptop via IP address, which works fine usually, but I have to create a password for my Win7 machine, for some reason I can't access anything unless it has a password. What is a better way to connect, to it, like a Windows workgroup, from my Mac?

2. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

the only way I can transfer with my acer is to use FileZilla using the FTP option in the share menu in Leopard. try that.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

Another good option you could consider would be Dropbox if you need to move just files.

4. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

Do you mean you have to have a password on your Windows account for the share to work? If so, you can always just set Windows to log on automatically if you don't want to enter the password each time and save the password on the Mac, then it should be the same as if there wasn't a password set.

5. jrsx thread starter macrumors 65816

jrsx

I don't think that's possible in Windows :p

6. tdbmoss macrumors regular

tdbmoss

It is :) Just go to Start > Run, type "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes), untick "users must enter a username and password to use this computer", enter your username/password when prompted, and it should then log straight in without asking for a username or password.

7. MrPilot macrumors 6502

8. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

The OP wants to connect to the W7 system, from his Mac, if I am reading this right.

You need to enable your system drives (C:\) (D:\), etc., as shared volumes in Windows first. Once each is set up as a shared volume, you can use 'Go->Connect to Server' (Command-K) to open up a dialogue in OSX, and type the following:

smb://1.2.3.4
    (where 1.2.3.4 is the IP on your Windows system).

You can check your IP by opening a DOS prompt (cmd) and typing the command ipconfig. This will give you your current IP, MAC address, etc.

You may also want to install CygWin so that you can ssh into your Windows system from OSX.

To do the reverse, in OSX, you will need to enable Windows Sharing in 'System Preferences->Sharing'. Store the username and password from your Windows system on your mac, and after this you can connect to OSX with Network places. The correct format can be obscure, but is in general:

\\1.2.3.4\User

1.2.3.4 is the IP address of your Mac, and User is your account name on OSX.

If you have a machine name set in OSX, you can use:
    \\Machinename.local\User

You need both general file sharing enabled, and Windows Sharing enabled in OSX for a Windows system to connect to OSX, but on Windows, you need only share the desired volumes, or directories.

SSH is always a good fallback, as it is secure, and fast. It works directly with filesystems, using standard shell commands, and not just the limited FTP arguments. That means that you can do scp, which is what you want for file transfers, rather than put.