Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Hello all,

Why is this happening. I have two macs, connected to the same network. I open preferences and select file sharing on both.

Now I thought it would only share what is in the shared folders column, however it is completely sharing every file between both macs.

How can I limit it to only share specific folders. I completely emptied the shared folders list on both macs, and i'm still able to view every file on each one.

This is weird - Help Please.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Turn it off before making changes. Make your changes and then turn it back on.

Make sure your account and permissions are set correctly as well.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Say Machine 1 uses account and password A, and machine 2 uses account and password B.

If you log into machine 2 using machine 1 with account and password B, then you'll get access to everything on the machine, as you have essentially logged straight into it.

Were you to use a "Guest" account, only Public folders (and the ones you choose to share) will be visible.

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Say Machine 1 uses account and password A, and machine 2 uses account and password B.

If you log into machine 2 using machine 1 with account and password B, then you'll get access to everything on the machine, as you have essentially logged straight into it.

Were you to use a "Guest" account, only Public folders (and the ones you choose to share) will be visible.

Thanks, but I never got the option to log in at all, when I went into finder, both macs where able to see each other and view all folders. There never came a time where I had to log in, it was automatic. I can't understand why this is happening?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Thanks, but I never got the option to log in at all, when I went into finder, both macs where able to see each other and view all folders. There never came a time where I had to log in, it was automatic. I can't understand why this is happening?
Would both mac be using the same credentials, by any chance?

Ne0the1

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2013
Open Keychain Access (it's in the Applications/Utilities folder) and inspect the list to see if the login credentials are saved for the shared Mac.

Hi I checked,

No log in credentials saved for the shared mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.