file sharing help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azscp, May 21, 2007.

1. azscp macrumors member

Hi Everyone,

Is there a way to share files from one computer to another without using the USB port on the base station? I have an iMac and a MBP and it seems that my files are corrupting when I use my external HD through through the base station. Is there a way to access files directly from one computer to another?

thanks,
    steve

2. Mpulsive81 macrumors 6502

I have my PC & Mac sharing files between one another. I just created a shared docs folder and set it up so that clicking on my Shared Docs folder (assuming both computers are on) it'll open the network connection between the two. Then i have that icon next to my trashcan.

3. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

To connect Mac "B" to Mac "A", enable file sharing on both (preferences), hit command-K, type in the name of Mac "B" as "computer's-name".local, the login password for the user account you want to access. When the hard drive or user folder appears, drag the folder you want to commonly access to the dock on computer A. "A" to "B" is the same.

4. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

this can only share home folders, is it possible to share a folder not under the user directory?

5. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

it all depends on the permissions set for the HD the system is on. On my network, admins can access the whole hard drive (is an option when you first login, can choose the HD or any of the individual users).

6. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

If you're sharing from your iMac to your MBP, why not try transferring the files using Target Disk Mode over FireWire. Over FireWire you should be able to access the whole drive that is being shared.

7. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^^^^ or via an ethernet cable if they are going to be in close proximity anyway, that way they can both still be fully functional.

8. SLJ macrumors regular

SLJ

i dont want to use the target mode... let say i have a folder which have all my music, photos and movies and documents.. which I want both mbp and mp can acesss, what's the best way to tackle this without using a public folder...
    i dont understand hte "administrator" setting, let's say i setup a normal login for either machine, how can i access this folder?

9. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

this is really easy

1) turn on "personal file sharing" on both machines (sharing preferences)

2) know the name of each computer and make sure the shared folder are somewhere in your home directory

3) make sure both computers are on the same local network

4) from computer "A" hit command-K from the finder (connect to server)

5) type the name of computer B, using a dash where there is a space (computer-B.local)

6) you will be prompted to enter your login name and password. Select from the list either the entire HD (you will have access to at least your home directory) or rather just the specific user directory in which your files are stored. (I choose to "remember password")

7) access your files

the reverse can be done from computer B to computer A

10. ebony macrumors regular

Excuse my ignorance but I am still totally confused on how to share out an external usb hard drive connected to computer A, to computer B.

My setup is, I have an iMac ( computer A ) with a usb hard drive connected. This is wired to a router. My mac mini ( computer B ) is connected to the same router.

I would like to access the files on the external drive, on computer B. Is this possible and how ?

Thanks.

11. weckart macrumors 68040

Why not simply unplug the external USB drive and connect it to the computer that you want to copy the files to? This is by far the quickest method rather than faffing about with wireless connections.

12. ebony macrumors regular

I don't want to do it wireless. Let me explain my requirements better.

My external usb hard drive connected to computer A contains all my itunes folders. I want to be able to access these on computer B without duplicating the entire folder ( about 200 GB - lots of videos ).

I can share my itunes out but without access to the external hard drive I cannot access any of the itunes content in the folders.

I want to do all of this via a wired connection. Computer A wired to router, computer B wired to same router.

13. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

the external USB on comp A should show up as a choice when you connect from B to A, provided that the external drive is formatted properly and assigned the proper permissions for the connecting user to access it.

14. ebony macrumors regular

it doesn't show up ?

It is formatted as Mac OS Extended Journalled and I have ignore ownership on this volume ticked.

I got itunes sharing working, which essentially solves my problem.

To get the external drive shared I created a symbolic link in my home folder i.e.

ln -s /Volumes/External /users/mark/itunes

which I decided not to use anyway, because if I pointed my itunes on the mini to this folder it would mean recategorizing everything within itunes so it appeared in the right folder within itunes.

I can't believe it is not an easy out of the box process. Its the first time the mac has let me down.

Now I'm struggling getting it to pick up my wireless network which I'll start in another thread.

15. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

16. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

don't know why it's not working, sorry.

did you try restarting comp A with the drive hooked up before attempting to connect to it? Rather than having "ignore ownership" checked, perhaps assign the permissions again and then apply to the whole volume.