File sharing in 10.8

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Martin29, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Martin29 macrumors 6502

Martin29

I need some help from you guys and gals!

I'm running an iMac and an Air, both of which I have upgraded to 10.8. Both are on the same Wi Fi network and I have always used the iMac HD to store documents and photos and to access them from both machines. Never had a single issue.

Since upgrading to 10.8 I cannot access the documents folder on the iMac from the Air (I can access all other folders, except the sub folders within documents) I can access the Air from the iMac with no issues.

If I open finder on the air and connect to the iMac, then click on the documents folder I simply have an ? in the header bar.

Has anyone else come across this issue, or do you have suggestions to resolve it.

While on the subject, I'm considering buying the OS X Server for the iMac.. Am I right in thinking that this will give me remote access to the hard disk when I'm away from home, via my Air? And will it be secure from others?

Many thanks.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

What are your settings in File Sharing on the iMac? Are you prompted for a password?

Buying the Server edition isn't necessary for what you want to do. If you leave your iMac running and it's connected to the internet you can already access it from afar with your Air (assuming you get that Documents folder glitch sorted).

There are many, many ways of doing this. Easiest for those inexperienced with internet access to their home network are the services, like LogMeIn, Back to My Mac, TeamViewer, etc. Then there are standalone software solutions like Share Tool by Yazsoft. Or even SFTP and FTP that you roll on your own. All can be made perfectly secure; Share Tool for example not only uses passwords or public/private key access, but also encrypts the traffic itself.

Check out any of those and you're on your way.

3. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

My folders are all shared, and when I log into the iMac from the Air, I log in as myself (admin) All the other folders are still accessible, and I can move files using share screen even within the documents folder.

If I click on the folder itself though, I just get a blank list and the '?'

Once I resolve this issue I'll return to the other suggestions which sound as though they will work, though I don't understand what happens when my iMac goes to sleep?

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

There's a feature called "wak on LAN" or somesuch; it allows a signal coming in to wake up your Mac. I think it might be in Energy Saver.

Dunno about that folder. Can you access it with an FTP client or with something besides the Finder? Is the question mark in the sidebar?

It sounds almost as if it's connecting with an orphaned alias. If you navigate through Finder Go>Network do you get the same result?

Rob

5. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

The '?' is in the header bar of the finder window.

Using the go function in finder doesn't work either because the documents folder is greyed out. All the other folders work correctly here too.

The folder and it's contents are still on the iMac, just for some new reason, finder on the remote machine can't get to them even though they are marked as shared.

6. Martin29 thread starter macrumors 6502

Martin29

This is something specific to the documents folder, since if I move the sub folders to the desktop, I can then access them from my Air.

Anything in the documents folder remains invisible.

All the folders are set to share.