File Sharing is Sharing Too Many Files?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aircanman, May 31, 2012.

1. aircanman macrumors 6502

I have set up file sharing on my iMac and MBP, and have given read and write access to the public folder only, yet when you hook up to it, everything is there, hard drive, docs folder etc. Any reason why this is?

2. flatfoot macrumors 65816

One explanation might be that you're connected automatically. When you click on it in the sidebar, does it say "Connected as guest" or as <your user name>?

If that's not the case, navigate to each folder in question, open the info window and uncheck "share this folder".

3. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

I am connected using my username, and when I go to each folder I can only have read and write, write or read, when I do this, I can access neither on both computers!

4. flatfoot macrumors 65816

When you're connected to the host computer using your user name, you are supposed to have access to everything on the host. That's normal.

Open a finder window, select the host from the left-hand column and click "Disconnect". Which shared folders are displayed now?

5. aircanman thread starter macrumors 6502

Right I get it!! - When I do that only the public folder is showing. I was just really worried someone could access all my files easily!!

Cheers for that.

6. flatfoot macrumors 65816