File Sharing is Sharing Too Many Files?

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
UK
I have set up file sharing on my iMac and MBP, and have given read and write access to the public folder only, yet when you hook up to it, everything is there, hard drive, docs folder etc. Any reason why this is?

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
One explanation might be that you're connected automatically. When you click on it in the sidebar, does it say "Connected as guest" or as <your user name>?

If that's not the case, navigate to each folder in question, open the info window and uncheck "share this folder".

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
UK
One explanation might be that you're connected automatically. When you click on it in the sidebar, does it say "Connected as guest" or as <your user name>?

If that's not the case, navigate to each folder in question, open the info window and uncheck "share this folder".
I am connected using my username, and when I go to each folder I can only have read and write, write or read, when I do this, I can access neither on both computers!

flatfoot

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2009
When you're connected to the host computer using your user name, you are supposed to have access to everything on the host. That's normal.

Open a finder window, select the host from the left-hand column and click "Disconnect". Which shared folders are displayed now?

aircanman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
UK
When you're connected to the host computer using your user name, you are supposed to have access to everything on the host. That's normal.

Open a finder window, select the host from the left-hand column and click "Disconnect". Which shared folders are displayed now?
Right I get it!! - When I do that only the public folder is showing. I was just really worried someone could access all my files easily!!

Cheers for that.