File Sharing Leopard + XP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ChrisGwynne, Feb 14, 2008.

1. ChrisGwynne macrumors newbie

Hey guys

Need your help. New to Macs anyway so I'm not much use atm.\

I'm trying to share Files to and from my macbook and my Windows desktop.

I've read a couple of tutorials but none seem to work. Folder Sharing is enabled on the XP. I can get XP to recognise the macbook but not vice versa.

It said in the tutorial to make sure the Windows sharing option is enabled in Leopard, however there is no option in there for me to enable???

Basically I need a tried and tested method/tutorial.. any help is appreciated.

2. ChrisGwynne thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

To share files from the Mac to the Windows computer. Make sure to turn on File Sharing in the Sharing/System Preferences area. Also, you can pick the folders to share and the users who can log on to the Mac for file sharing. Under the Options button, you need to turn on SMB for Windows file sharing and pick the user who will log in again. Hope this helps!!!

4. ChrisGwynne thread starter macrumors newbie

Under the Sharing tab, the option for "Windows Sharing" isn't even listed?....

5. Avenger23 macrumors regular

Avenger23

No, it's not listed under Leopard... you need to turn on File Sharing, then click the Options button at the bottom right corner, then click the SMB checkbox for Windows file sharing. Sorry, about the confusion.

6. tuni macrumors newbie

leopard & XP file sharing

iMac with Leopard - trying to share files with XP (wireless connection via Linksys) just won't work. The XP can see the iMac (shows the icon inb the XP network) but iMac does not see nor will it connect to XP!

Tried oneonone training, called Applecare, no one can seem to help. Have tried SMP/FTP/ATP - (FTP asks for user name and password and I don't knowwhat user name and password they are looking for - Linksys?).. The XP does not have a password.

Have even printed and used "Simple Guide to Leopard/Windows Home Networking" by interceptor 121 - still no joy <sigh>

Terribly frustrated! Am watching this thread to see if any help that will resolve this problem.

7. buc11t macrumors newbie

Lost my sharing

I managed to set up the sharing straight away the night i got the macbook. Since then i spent ages trying to set up the printer. Well finally i can connect to the printer by setting my PC up with the same workgroup but in the mean time i cant connect to the PC anymore, it tells me that i dont have permission to access the server. Sometimes i get asked for a username and password but there wasnt one originally to make it work.

It has nothing to do with changing the workgroup, i lost the connection long before mucking around with the settings on the PC. I can ping the PC. Its windows XP by the way and the macbook is updated to 10.5.4