File Sharing (Limewire, etc) App for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jeremybuff, Mar 23, 2009.

1. jeremybuff macrumors regular

Here's the deal, I hate Limewire/Frostwire for Windows. It sucks, viruses are everywhere, etc etc. I am looking for a nice file sharing application for Mac.

I already have transmission for torrents, but for individual files what app do you recommend? I hard about Mojo, has anyone used this, or a similar file sharing app?

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you're looking for a P2P application you could try Acquisition or aMule.

3. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds good, I'll check them out. Thank you very much.

4. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

have u heard of vuze? or it used to be called azureus, u should try it out

5. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

6. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

7. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As KingYaba said... Acquisition

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

8. tkim82 macrumors newbie

Don't get Mojo...
    For some libraries it's very laggy and there's a limit to how many friends you can have (something ridiculously small like 3 or something) before you have to pay.

And Vuze? They offer HD content yes, but from what I've seen it's mostly movie trailers/music videos...I think he's looking for stuff like individual music files. Idk.

9. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i use Frostwire as its a free version of Limewire Pro which has more connections to faster peers.

the viruses and trojans are mainly Windows executables and so wont harm a Mac. but that doesnt that mean the Mac is invincible; there may be trojans when searching for Mac stuff (im not sure).

as a general rule for Limewire/Frostwire its safe if you download something which has an appropriate file size for the file type. for example if its a video and it has a file size of KBs then its probably malware. a useful tip ive found is to add the "Type" column (if its not already there) and only download files that have the file type you are looking for like .mp3 for audio and .mpg for video. also only download audio if it has a bitrate.

10. jeremybuff thread starter macrumors regular

Great ideas and suggestions! Thank you so much. I'm going to download and try Acquisition, as well as Frostwire. I know that Frostwire was a heck of a lot better than Limewire was on my PC.

I pretty much know the file sizes that I'll be downloading, so hopefully that will help prevent any security issues. I'll search MacRumors for a few good anti-virus and anti-rootkit apps. I have noticed that people on here seem to be more nervous about rootkits than anything.

Thanks again for the advice!