File sharing Macintosh Performa 5260

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by vw53steven, Aug 16, 2013.

1. vw53steven macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone

I'm Steven and live in the Netherlands so sorry for my bad English :p (if it's bad ;)

I have a Macintosh Performa 5260/100 running Mac OS 8 and have a 10 Mbit Ethernet card but file sharing via Apple Talk or TCP-IP won't work. If i go to Control panels > Apple Talk i only can choose via the Printer port or Modem, he is not seeing the Ethernet card.

Are they special Extensions needit for de ethernet card or software?

There are some files on that Mac that i Need but it's to large for a Floppy.

Hopefully someone knows a solution for the problem?

2. WMD macrumors regular

Does the Ethernet card work otherwise? (Can you configure TCP/IP and get online with it, for example?)

There are system extensions for the ethernet card, but the OS should have those turned on if the card is installed. Check the Extensions Manager control panel.

3. vw53steven thread starter macrumors newbie

If i go to: Control panels > TCP/IP i can only choose: Connect via: AppleTalk (MacIP) or PPP

I have look at the extension manager and the only extensions that anything does with ethernet are:

Apple Ethernet CS
    Apple Ethernet LC
    Apple Built-In Ethernet
    AppleShare
    EtherTalk Phase 2
    Open Transport 1.1.2 is installed (lot of extensions)

And that's it.

It's not a build in Ethernet card but an extern ethernet card for in the "comm. slot" not a LCPDS

I think i haven't the right extensions / drivers for de card.

4. vw53steven, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013

vw53steven thread starter macrumors newbie

I read another topic here:
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2199199?start=0&tstart=0

On page 2 it say's that this driver wil help:
    http://www.macdrivermuseum.net/network.shtml
    And then under "Sonic system Etherlan 7.8" and install them. (The driver is older for system 6 and 7 and i must downgrade de version of Apple talk, i don't know if my Mac like that)

Now i can choose in Control panels > Network "EtherTalk" but when i choose that, he comes with a system error type 11 and the Mac is hanging.

If i go to Control Panels > AppleTalk he says: This control panel can not open becouse Open Transport is nog loaded.

Is there anyway to load Open Transport?

By the way: this is the card that i have: http://www.weirdstuff.com/cgi-bin/item/11127

5. WMD macrumors regular

The driver may not support OS 8 if it crashes with type 11. (It says it's a System 6/7 driver, that can be quite old. Funny that a comm slot card would have a System 6 driver - I don't think any Macs with comm slots supported earlier than 7.1.)

Downgrading AppleTalk probably isn't a good idea...what happens if you try it with the correct version?

Also...try switching to "classic" networking if you can, instead of Open Transport. There should be a "network software selector" application somewhere on the machine (I forget where. A control panel maybe?) See if the driver supports that.

In any case..this probably won't help, but...the 5260 is a bugger of a machine. :/ OS 8 helped out a lot from what I've read, but the architecture is a mess. So, I'm not surprised that System 7 drivers have issues on these.

6. vw53steven thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, i have mani thinks tryed on that mac, but with no succes. So i took the harddrive out and with a IDE to USB cable on my PowerMac G4 i have al the files of it what i need.

I don't give up yet with the Ethernet problem so i will trying your way ;)