Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Deville

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Hi,

I'm using a G4 mac running 10.5.8. mostly for movies and music and I occasionally need to access specific folders on my mid 2010 imac running 10.6.8 which is connected to the same network as the G4.

I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find anything specific to my problem, but please forgive me if I overlooked a similar question.

I have file sharing turned on on both machines and have specific shared folders selected but I cannot connect to either machine unless I log in as an administrator.

As an administrator there is no problems connecting at all from either machine but the problem is it gives full access to either machine which I do not want.

Shouldn't any machine be able to connect just by clicking on the machine you want in the finder as long as it is the same network and see the files that were selected for sharing only, without having to log in as administrator, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Edit:
I figured it out, I had to go to accounts, guest account, and check allow guests to connect to shared folders.

Last edited:

gotenks05

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2009
Hi,

I'm using a G4 mac running 10.5.8. mostly for movies and music and I occasionally need to access specific folders on my mid 2010 imac running 10.6.8 which is connected to the same network as the G4.

I've searched the forums but haven't been able to find anything specific to my problem, but please forgive me if I overlooked a similar question.

I have file sharing turned on on both machines and have specific shared folders selected but I cannot connect to either machine unless I log in as an administrator.

As an administrator there is no problems connecting at all from either machine but the problem is it gives full access to either machine which I do not want.

Shouldn't any machine be able to connect just by clicking on the machine you want in the finder as long as it is the same network and see the files that were selected for sharing only, without having to log in as administrator, or am I missing something?

Thanks

Edit:
I figured it out, I had to go to accounts, guest account, and check allow guests to connect to shared folders.

Have you tried SSH or FTP from terminal? I know those work without admin access, but unless you find the configuration files and set permissions correctly, you would have full access over SSH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.