File Sharing not an option in 10.4.11 Server

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Hrududu, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I've recently installed 10.4 Server on a B&W G3 I have had here at the house. I don't have space to keep it hooked up to a display, so I use it with Remote Desktop from my MacBook Pro. I went to turn on File Sharing in the sharing pref pane and its not even there as an option. There is also nothing there for Web Sharing (which might be normal) or Printer Sharing. Is there some way to get these items back? I'd rather not do a complete re-install if I don't have to. Here is a picture of the only options I have under the Sharing pref pane.

Attached Files:

2. Doctor Doom macrumors member

its in "server admin". Application/server/server admin.

3. Hrududu thread starter macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I must be missing something, cuz I can't find where it is to turn on. Where in the admin app is it located?

4. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

That's not where you set server functions. Start Server Admin in the SERVERS directory... probably in your dock anyway. Log in, there it is.

Attached Files:

5. aliciajens macrumors newbie

Just stumbled upon this thread through a Google search!
    I was having the exact problem and was stumped...figured out it was a software issue with running the Server OS, but thought I'd searched my mac everywhere!

Thank you! I now can share certain folders (that we choose) between my iMac and my daughter's new (to her) Macbook!

I do have one more question, if anyone can help...

I have now turned on file and printer sharing through the Server Admin area.
    How, though, do I make it so the daughter's Macbook can find my printer?
    I've loaded the proper drive from the disc that came with my printer (Canon Pixma MP480), and then go to Pref>Print & Fax>'add new printer', but if I have it search for the printer, only the stock drivers come up.
    Should I add it as LPD or IPP? and then what address do I use to have the MacBook see it? :confused:

Any ideas?

Hope to hear from some of you.
    Thanks in advance!
    Alicia

---iMac PPC G4 (2002), OSX 10.4.11 Server
    ---MacBook Intel, OSX 10.5.6

6. the Otter macrumors member

Sorry to hijack the thread, but any way you could tell me how? I’m trying to do the exact same thing and have, as of yet, been unsuccessful.

Thanks! :)