File Sharing permissions issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Topher15, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Topher15 macrumors 6502a

Topher15

I've made my iMac's home folder a shared folder so I can access all my stuff from my MacBook and cross files back to it.

I've noticed that to change the permissions of the iMac's home folder from the iMac I have to enter my admin password however what's strange is that I'm able to change the permissions of the iMac's home folder from my MacBook without any password or warning.

How do I make it so any access to my the iMac home folder from another computer requires my iMac admin password?

Cheers

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

you could make the folder you want to share an encrytped disk image. That way, when you log in from other macs, the shared folder will look like a separate hard drive. double click to mount, and you will always be prompted for the password.

if it sounds like a good solution for you, write back and we can walk you through it.

3. R.R.Mac macrumors regular

R.R.Mac

when making it shared make it shared from a admin account and also make sure that that admin account has a pasword itself so that there is a password to use!

4. Topher15 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Topher15

Here's what I've done...

I turned off sharing for the Home folder as it didn't seem like I needed it as a shared folder. All I needed to do was go to the option window within the Sharing syspref pane and made sure that both AFP and my account were selected. I done this for both Mac's.

When on each Mac I hit cmd+k and entered the computers name (e.g. computer-name.local)

So when I mount to the HD of one computer from the other I'm always prompted for my admin password. So far so good.

What was weird however is that while I'm prompted for my admin password when, for instance, changing the permissions of the HD via the Inspector, I don't get promoted for a password when doing it from the other computer. Obviously you still need the password to get access to computer although I thought the discrepancy was strange.