File sharing problems between Air and iMac

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Lucianrider, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Lucianrider macrumors member

So since installing a Fusion drive in my Mid 2011 21" iMac and fresh installing Mavericks I have trouble file sharing between my 2012 13" Macbook air also running Mavericks.

I can connect to the air from the iMac by clicking on the Macbook Air icon in finder under network and the shared folders show and all well and good. But trying the other way around it just shows not connected.

I have compared the settings between the Air and iMac and can't see anything different. However if I use the menu option Go/Connect to server and put the following into the address box: afp://Christophers-iMac.local it will connect. And it has to have the .local at the end or it will not find the iMac???

Obviously I can work with this but what setting is causing this behavior???

This has me stumped!

2. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Do you, by chance, use the same "Username" on both Macs? It seems like I had the same issue in the past and the only solution was to re-install the entire OS. Simply creating a new user account didn't solve the problem.

You might want to at least try changing the username of one Mac if they are currently the same. Maybe it'll work for you.

3. Lucianrider thread starter macrumors member

Well you are right that the user name on both computers is the same. So I added my middle name to the Macbook air but unfortunately that made no difference....

Thanks for the suggestion however!!