Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
1. Connect them with a crossover cable.
2. Enable Filesharing on both.
3. go to the Chooser or "connect to server"
4. select the other computer and connect.

Billicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2002
Charles City, Iowa
If you're running OS X on the iMac, then go to the "Go" Menu and select "Connect to Server..."
In the next window you should see the Powerbook listed as an avaliable to connect to, provided you enable file sharing. To turn that on go to Apple Menu → Control Panels → File Sharing and enable file sharing. You can enter an owners name and password if you prefer.

kwint

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2002
I have a related question.
My husband is using a G4 dual 1-gig at our studio (jaguar) and I'm using a G4 450 at home (also jaguar). We want to share a common calendar, preferably Group Organizer 4.5 running on the home mac. i want him to be able to send edits to the calendar database in realtime. We are on DSL and have a router at home, and 4 computers on a hub.

If he performs Go>connect to server, what IP does he put in?

(we have a dynamic IP, not static, but it doesn't reboot often). If I have the firewall turned on, how do I give him permission?

I've tried to figure this out with "the missing manual" but I'm not proficient with network issues.

thanks for any help.

whfsdude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2002
Washington DC
Where is Ms. Cleo when you need her?

Just settle with Harry Potter, just backup that data first :D

Btw, you don't need a crossover cable with Mac OS 10.x :)

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
Originally posted by kwint

If he performs Go>connect to server, what IP does he put in?

(we have a dynamic IP, not static, but it doesn't reboot often). If I have the firewall turned on, how do I give him permission?

thanks for any help.

go to system preferences>network...the IP will be in there..unless it is 10.0.0.0 or something very similar, you will need to find your world IP address...at the moment i can't seem to remember where that is...search http://www.versiontracker.com for dockIP

for permissions you can login with any user that is allowed on the computer...he will want to have admin privileges also

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
for reference. it's not OS X that removes the need for a crossover cable, it's the computer. the later models, for example my ibook 2001 solve the issue with an autodetecting ethernet port. but your imac g4 will be fine =)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.