Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
California
Under Mac OS X I used to be able to share all my volumes, along with the home directories, using Personal File Sharing. Now, no matter how I set disk permissions, all that comes up as avaliable on other computers on the network are the two home directories of the two users on this computer. Does anyone know how to enable sharing of actual volumes? I'm sure I'm probably just missing an option somewhere that will turn it on easily...

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
hmm... by default it lets you choose any mounted volume so it suprises me that you can only get the home directories. And what exactly do you mean by: "Under Mac OS X I used to be able to share all my volumes" aren't you still using OS X?

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
California
ChrisFromCanada said:
hmm... by default it lets you choose any mounted volume so it suprises me that you can only get the home directories. And what exactly do you mean by: "Under Mac OS X I used to be able to share all my volumes" aren't you still using OS X?

Yeah I'm sorry, that does look kind of confusing now that I'm reading if for the second time... :rolleyes:

I was pretty sure volume sharing was on by default because I know where to turn on everything in OS X... just needed someone to confirm that. Thanks, Chris.

I'm definitely still using OS X, though I'm only on 10.3 straight off the CD, no updates downloaded yet. All the volumes are mounted and they show up fine on the desktop, but not as options alongside the home directories in the file sharing box from other computers.

This computer's been having some problems with bad RAM, which I recently isolated and removed, but still, I installed this copy of OS X with the bad RAM in, so I think it could have had an effect on the installation.

I think I'm going to do a clean install, wipe the whole HD and then run all the updates and see where I'm at then. But still if anyone else is having this problem, please give me some insight, even doing this might not fix it. I'll post again after clean installing Panther.

dzo

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2004
a possible solution

macs4drew - I suspect you are trying to connect as a non-admin user. By default, when you connect as a user with admin privileges, you should get a list of all available volumes and home folders. When you connect as a regular user, you only get the home folders listed.

You aren't missing an option, you just can't do what you want to do (as I understand it at least) using the included OS X GUI tools. What you need is something called SharePoints. It's free ("donation-ware"). You can get it here: http://www.hornware.com/sharepoints/ .

Hope that helps.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I do a lot of OSX to OSX networking where I work, and it is exactly as dzo says. Connect using an admin user, and you should be able to see all volumes, or just use Sharepoints to configure things with more precision.

mac4drew

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 4, 2003
California
dzo said:
macs4drew - I suspect you are trying to connect as a non-admin user.

Yep, I was.

They should really say something about that somewhere in the "Sharing" panel or at least in the help files. I was trying to set up a file server that people would be allowed limited access to, so I was using a "standard" account name to connect. Thanks for the help, I wiped and reinstalled anyway, but now I'll try this... hope it works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.