File sharing site risk.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Michaelgtrusa, May 6, 2009.

1. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

What are the risk of downloading file from sharing sites like rapidshare, megaupload, amd depositfiles?

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

As with all kind of download (bittorrent, email attachment, ftp, etc) you need to make sure you can trust the source of the file you are downloading. Biggest problem for mac users at the moment are probably Trojans, that are installed by the user thinking the file is safe.

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Don't get applications from ths sites. If anything from there asks for your password after you download it, it's a trojan.

4. glasserp macrumors regular

applications no, nothing you have to enter your password for. music, movies, etc., well that's up to you, but it's relatively pretty safe.

5. Michaelgtrusa thread starter macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

For now, i'm going to stay away from them and nor risk my HD. Thanks.

6. Silver80 macrumors newbie

Very little risk really. A trojan will ask you to enter your password for admin privileges. Its highly unlikely any one will disguise an mp3 or movie file with a trojan written specifically for Mac OS X. People may disagree, but personally I would find it alarmist and unhelpful.

7. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The only known trojans for OS X are in an iWork '09 torrent and a Photoshop CS4 torrent.

Downloading torrents DOES NOT harm your hard drive any more than any other type of download.