Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
For some reason, sometimes File Sharing in the System Preferences (the Sharing pane) will turn itself on, every few days. I use File Sharing, but usually keep it off since upgrading to Mavericks, because it prevents Mavericks from going to sleep. I use it to share files with my PC, which runs Windows 8.1 and is on the same Ethernet home network.

But for some reason, it decides to turn itself on every few days for some reason. Anyone know why it does this? I don't know if it's a Mavericks problem specifically or not, because I used to always keep File Sharing enabled all the time. But as I said, I have to turn it off now when I'm not using it, because otherwise my Mac won't sleep, since upgrading to Mavericks.

Gary King

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 14, 2004
Well, this only started happening after I upgraded to Mavericks. And I don't have any apps installed that are related to networking. I'm trying my best to determine when this occurs, but so far I can't pinpoint. It seems to only occur when I have my PC on, though, but I don't know exactly what action on it causes it. For instance, perhaps the PC is trying to access the Mac but the File Sharing is disabled, so the PC forces it ON on the Mac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.