Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
I really have been missing my little 12" iBook 1.33 that I gave to my Mom for Christmas this past year. I have a macbook pro 2.4 which is awesome but that 12" was sweet. There still is nothing like it. So I got another. This time I got lucky and got a Powerbook 1.5 in near excellent condition w/ the box included for $450. :D . This baby is sweet and is going to be my commuter while I'm at school and taking pictures.

Now for the questions. If anyone is running a setup like this, how do you find mangagning/syncing all of your "stuff." I have been reading in posts that it takes allot of software to have the two macs actually "mirror" each other. How true is that?

I have tried file sharing with fw400. I just set the whole drive to be shared for simplicity. I can get in to the macbook pro's hard drive or vice versa but whenever it comes to going into the user/library/MUSIC CORE.. i have a red symbol in the.. bottom right? and if clicked it tells me something along the lines of not having sufficient privileges. Does anyone have an answer for this?

I really would like my macs to mirror each other or at least be able to. How painful of a task can it be?

Thanks for your time for reading and any responses for shedding some light. Ill be at work all day so ill get back whenever I can.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Hi

try Foldershare, by Microsoft.

yes, Microsoft. you're not dreaming. the product is quite good and works on Macs and Windows PCs.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
does everyone like foldershare? does it feel native to OSX or does it feel like microsoft crap:confused:? I read a little about it but wanted to get some opinions from some people out there that were doing something similar to me. As far as the firewire issure, does anyone know why I can't access certain folders? Is there a way to lift the restrictions somewhere. I know have read-write access on enabled. I'm not sure if I mentioned that earlier. Once again, thanks guys.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
im not whining im just looking for some opinions and a decent way to keep everything synced. i know there will be problems with any of them and that is why i am asking for opinions/advice from anyone who cares to comment.

No one knows why my folders say I dont have permission? Im sitting for the receptionist right now. Im contemplating on pulling the macs out and playing with it. Not sure what people will think if they see me surrounded by :apple:'s and a windows behind me? Im sure ill say screw it.

Will it work with my lightroom catalog?

Once again thanks for the respones

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
I have been reading in posts that it takes allot of software to have the two macs actually "mirror" each other. How true is that?

In my experience, you can either use some sort of sync software (such as Microsoft Foldershare!), or you can do it by hand, but in any case you must pick the directories you want to sync from somewhere in your /home folders. if you want to sync executables and system libraries it will go wrong.

I just set the whole drive to be shared for simplicity.

that's why it's acting funny.
Your problems will be over once you use Microsoft Foldershare! :)

I really would like my macs to mirror each other or at least be able to. How painful of a task can it be?

it's a breeze with... MICROSOFT FOLDERSHARE!
:D:D:D

i know there will be problems with any of them

well, you will have problems until you try M I C R O S O F T F O L D E R S H A R E !!!!

Come on, Microsoft has been making software of questionable quality for many years, this time they acquired a company with a decent product and did not destroy it, let's give them some credit for that :D
https://www.foldershare.com/

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
ok ok nplima, m i c r o s o f t it is, i just prefer not using that company. i think i have an external hard drive in my back pack:rolleyes:. if only this hp had firewire.

Any advice before i give this foldershare a go? Nplima, you seem to be a proficient user. Any tips?

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 5, 2008
as far as the firewire goes, I just shared the music folder and viola. I guess you cant share the whole hard drive. Thanks for that suggestion nplima. Now I have 17.6 gb of music coming in about 15min. I wonder how long that would take on usb 2.0 or 1.0? Anyone know? I wish the powerbook had 800. I wonder if I would see any big improvement over this kind of task?

Once again, thanks guys.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
I wonder how long that would take on usb 2.0 or 1.0? Anyone know? I wish the powerbook had 800. I wonder if I would see any big improvement over this kind of task?

Once again, thanks guys.

on USB 2 it would take longer, on USB 1 it would take loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonger.

If you were using *m*i*c*r*o*s*o*f*t* *f*o*l*d*e*r*s*h*a*re* you could link your external drive to your fastest computer and the sync would be limited by the speed of your LAN.

From what I read, Sugarsync is even better than MS Foldershare, but as you use someone else's server as an intermediary, it's only fair you have to pay them. with foldershare you use a peer to peer technology in a perfectly legal way, which has merit in its political meaning.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.