File sharing Vista and Mac osx

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bartoszbr, Dec 23, 2008.

1. bartoszbr macrumors newbie

I know how to connect to a vista pc public folder but what I would like to know is if I can keep the connection at all times, or at least start it automatically, as it happens between two macbooks. It seems that whenever I restart the mac, I have to go through connect to server... procedure. Is there a way to keep my pc in the shared list at all times?

2. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

System Preferences -> Accounts -> Login Items. Use the + sign at the bottom and select the mapped share.

3. Slowstick macrumors 6502

What? You have no idea what your talking about!!! This allows you to add apps to start when you login.

What you can do, bartoszbr, is create a shortcut of the network address for later access. What version of OS X are you running?

4. bartoszbr thread starter macrumors newbie

Leopard. How do I create that shortcut?

5. Slowstick macrumors 6502

When you connect to anything on the network, a network icon shows up on the desktop. Right click that and make an alias. Whenever you disconnect, that alias should still remain. Just double click that alias whenever you want to reconnect.

Btw, if you have the Windows PC setup correctly to share files or at least have the mac recognize it, it should continue show under "devices." How are your computers networked??

6. jmxp69 macrumors 6502

You shouldn't spout off at the mouth so fast. This picture shows three shares that are mounted at login. Archives, Video, Pictures.

Putting aliases on the desktop won't automatically remount the drive.

Attached Files:

7. bartoszbr thread starter macrumors newbie

The pc is connected directly to the router with a cable. And the macbook connects through wifi.

8. bartoszbr thread starter macrumors newbie

but it doesn't show under "devices" or "shared" for that matter.

my sister's macbook shows up under "shared" whenever she turns it on. my dad's windows laptop or the vista pc never do. why?

9. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

jmxp69 is right. You can add mounts to login items.

10. Slowstick macrumors 6502

Your right.....my apologies!!!!!!! :eek::eek: