File sharing wirelessly over Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swingerofbirch, Aug 10, 2010.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I am trying to move files between one Mac and another wirelessly. They are both connected wirelessly to the Internet with an Airport Extreme Base Station (newest version).

It seems to me that the files are transferring slowly, as if they are transferring at Internet connection speeds rather than computer to computer speeds.

The way I am connecting them is by clicking on the other Mac's name from the Finder and then connecting to it. I have file sharing turned on on both computers. I then am dragging the files from a local folder to a folder on the other Mac.

The computer I'm using is a 13" MBP with wireless N, and the other computer is a 17" iMac Intel Core 2 Duo, which I believe has a slower wifi version (maybe g), which I could upgrade to N if I pay Apple $1.99 (I never did, but I remember reading about that a long time ago). Anyhow, even with the slower connection, I still should be getting faster speeds I believe.

Right now, I am trying to transfer a folder with 209 GB of files and the estimated time to complete was at first 45 hours and varied a lot until it stabilized at 30 hours. I canceled the copy until I can find if there's a way to make a faster connection?

I may end up just going about this a different way as I realize there would be faster ways, but I'm curious for future reference, as well—is there a way to tell the computer to route the data through the router rather than the Internet, or is that what it was already doing?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Airport Extreme came with a cd. On that cd is the N Enabler for your iMac. It's free. Try making sure they are both on the 5Ghz band and that wide channels are enabled.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Thank you Intelli. You saved me $1.99. I don't think the bands are on 5 GHZ. Though, I'm not sure. It is the new dual band model, and the setting under radio mode is Automatic, and then under the drop down menu (not in the drop down menu options, but rather what looks like explanatory text of the automatic option), it says: 802.11 a/n - 802.11 b/g/n. Radio Channel selection is also set to Automatic.

I didn't mess with any of the settings out of the box because it A) Was working and B) We have PCs with wireless G and didn't want to lock them out and C) At the time I couldn't think of a need for the wireless N speed.

But the way I have it set up, does it sound like I'm getting N speed on the N devices?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I don't think your getting N speeds. If you hold down the Option key and click the Radio Mode drop down menu you'll see a lot more options. You want 802.11n only (5Ghz) - 802.11b/g/n. Then click Wireless Network Options. Check the 5Ghz Network Name and name it something other then what the 2.4Ghz network is called then check Use Wide Channels. Once done click Update, then tell your Macs to join the new 5Ghz only band. The range of this band is less then the 2.4Ghz so they may not be able to connect to it.

5. bigcat318 macrumors 6502

My apartment has two MBPs with N wireless running through an Airport Xtreme, we transferred a movie between them and got an average of 5 megabytes/s.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That seems a bit slow.

7. bt22 macrumors 6502

On the Apple Extreme Dual Band you have the option of setting a 5ghz "N" band under wireless options in Airport Utility then having the regular G/B Band. I would setup the 5GHZ and connect both of your Apple computers to that signal.