Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I have a work PC laptop that is joined to a company domain and I would like to be able to access it on my Mac based home network. Can this be done?

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Apple offers remote desktop... runs about $299.00 . I was going to buy it as I need to log into our companys server to do fun(not) work stuff from home.
Our IT guy (a mac at heart guy) turned me onto this
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=remotedesktopclient

Offered free from Microsoft & works great:)
Hope this helps!

I installed RDC and checked Allow users to connect remotely to this computer in Control Panel/System on my PC laptop; typed the PC's computer name in Mac RDC -- no luck:( I get a message that the computer cannot be found. BTW, the firewall on my laptop PC is off. BTW2, I can access my other (non-domained) PCs in the house just fine.

Allstermac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2007
I installed RDC and checked Allow users to connect remotely to this computer in Control Panel/System on my PC laptop; typed the PC's computer name in Mac RDC -- no luck:( I get a message that the computer cannot be found. BTW, the firewall on my laptop PC is off. BTW2, I can access my other (non-domained) PCs in the house just fine.

I checked this morning and ours does go into a domain, the log in looks like this ( servername . Company name.com : IP extension)
ie: mail.gesystems.com:3311
... Our company uses MS sever 2003? not sure how it's configured. If we have any IT folks around, maybe they can help?

Heres a link on how to configure RDC ? http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=Article_RDC

akadmon

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
New England
I checked this morning and ours does go into a domain, the log in looks like this ( servername . Company name.com : IP extension)
ie: mail.gesystems.com:3311
... Our company uses MS sever 2003? not sure how it's configured. If we have any IT folks around, maybe they can help?

Heres a link on how to configure RDC ? http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherproducts/otherproducts.aspx?pid=Article_RDC

I was able to get RDC working by putting in the IP address. However, all I can do is control the my laptop from the Mac. Not really what I want do. What I want to do is to be able to see the files on my PC in the Finder so that I can sync certain folders with those on my Mac as a way of a backup.

Even though I can see the PC on the Network and even though when I dbl clk its name a dialog comes up that already has the proper user and domain listed, I get the following message: The alias "[computer name]" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.

ecksmen

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2006
I was able to get RDC working by putting in the IP address. However, all I can do is control the my laptop from the Mac. Not really what I want do. What I want to do is to be able to see the files on my PC in the Finder so that I can sync certain folders with those on my Mac as a way of a backup.

Even though I can see the PC on the Network and even though when I dbl clk its name a dialog comes up that already has the proper user and domain listed, I get the following message: The alias "[computer name]" could not be opened because the original item cannot be found.

You need to share folders on the windows PC - then connect to them as a network share. smb://ipaddressofthecomputer/nameofnetworkshare IIRC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.