File Sharing with Airport Express

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by khongaeng, Aug 22, 2009.

1. khongaeng macrumors regular

I am trying to set up a file sharing network between two macs at my home using an Airport Express. I have successfully made a connection and even password protected the connection, but I noticed that the transfer rates are extremely slow (60kbs). I think that the problem is that when I am sharing, the data is traveling from Macbook Pro to Airport Express to craptacular roadrunner internet back to Airport Express and finally to iMac.

Is this a limitation of the Airport Express, that it can't have a stand alone network as well as provide a wireless internet signal. Or am I missing something with the setup?

The Airport Express is setup for DHCP Automatically.

If this is a limitation of the Airport Express, can the Airport Extreme set up file transfers at blazing speeds without the use of an internet connection?

Thanks in advance for the help

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

it shouldn't touch the internet at all. just stay all on your local network

how is everything hooked up, specifically the wired side of things.

3. khongaeng thread starter macrumors regular

I have the cable coming in from outside connected to the router and then an ethernet cable connected from the router to the airport express.

Edit: I just figured it out. After updating my Macbook Pro to 10.5.8, I was unable to connect to the airport express. My connection defaulted to my neighbor's connection that doesn't have a password. So, I was infact transfering files through the internet.