File sharing with Yosemite and Windows 8 via Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gottria, Feb 18, 2015.

1. gottria macrumors newbie

Just installed bootcamp and windows 8.1 on my macbook air for the first time and so far running great. I have about 40gbs of manuals that I need access to from both operating systems. Right now I have a 40gb Data folder on the OSX side but I can't see it in windows. I can see the partition from disk management in Win 8 but can't mount it or assign it a drive letter. Is it better to have the folder on the Win 8 side and view it via OSX?

2. doynton macrumors 6502

Windows can read from HFS+ and OSX can read from NTFS.

Unfortunately for some unknown reason in Yosemite OSX uses LVM corestorage and Apple has not provided any drivers for it for Windows or anything else. You need to to turn it off or you can see nothing on your Yosemite disk from Windows. See this guide http://awesometoast.com/yosemite-core-storage-and-partition-woes/

It is pretty easy - you just go to terminal and type "sudo diskutil cs revert xxxxxxxx" where xxxxxxxx is UUID of your LVM and you are back to normal HFS+ that windows can read. It takes 30 seconds.

Don't be fooled by reports that you can use ExFat to share storage. Apple ExFat implementation is very buggy. Nor do the third part NTFS, HFS file system third party solutions (NTFS-3G, Paragon, HFS+ etc) work reliably.

You are better off using built in read only access and FAT32 drives if you really need to write to the same partition from both.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

The very important caveat here is that you do not want to do anything like this if you have a Fusion Drive.

4. doynton macrumors 6502

True but a macbook air doesn't have a fusion drive.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Right, I was just adding that more for future reference if anyone finds the thread.