File Sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktalebian, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,
    I know there are a dozen of sites and threads here, but I have spent the last hour looking, with no luck!!!
    I just recently secured my wireless connection. Before I had a Windows XP connected to a router, and my MBP is connected to that router. I had no security or anything, and I shared the files from Windows normally (by going to properties, then file sharing, and clicking the enable file sharing). From my Mac, I would automatically get the server here, and would click and connect to it.
    Now, from the router, I enabled a remote access. Then, from my Windows, I changed the local model of sharing to classics, from guests. Now, no matter what I do, I cannot connect to the server!!! I try the domain address, and nothing. I try connecting to the server and nothing!!
    Also, I never actually managed to connect the other way (from Windows to Mac). How do I also do that?! :p
    thanks!

2. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

What do you mean with I secured the my wireless connection? Activation encryption doesn't affect the file sharing: your old settings should be still good.

Can you explain exactly what you did on the router?

3. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Hi, thanks for the reply.
    On the router, I had the option of enabling the remote access.
    It told me to enter a name, and once I did, it said you can now connect to your router from anywhere using the domain
    xxx.xxx.net
    When I try this from a Windows computer, I get the router page, where it asks for my password.
    Once I enter the password, I then get to see the computers currently connected to the router.
    I can then select a computer, enter the username and password and access the folders shared on it.
    All this is confirmed with a Windows computer.
    But I don't know why when I want to do that on my Mac I can't.
    The router says that a Mac running OS X 10.2 or higher is compatible!!

Thanks