File size limits

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dukebound85, Jun 28, 2010.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Would it be possible to allow to iphone 4 photos to be uploaded without the need to reduce size first?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

If you attach an image, vBulletin shows a thumbnail. If you use an inline image it's good netiquette to use TIMG instead of IMG for files wider than about 800 pixels.

We don't have software to reduce them automatically during inline display. Is that what you are suggesting?

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I think Duke means the actual file size (KB), as JPEGs of only 1.14MB allowed?

Does the iPhone take that big pictures?

Btw, if 800 pixel is the maximum width for netiquette reasons, what can the maximum height be?

I make a lot of screenshots, and sometimes they get TIMG by a mod, thus I would like some clarification. Thanks Doctor Q.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Some pics taken with my 3GS are +1.5MB JPEGs. Some are 700KB though, depends on what is in the picture I guess (big ones are landscape photos from Thailand)

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I see. So the suggestion is to increase the maximum uploadable filesize. We could, but do people really want to see your huge image in a forum post? You can always link to a huge image elsewhere.

It's a question of what's best for other users. Waiting for longer page displays can be annoying when images are unnecessarily large, although some images, like those posted by good photographers, are fantastic and other users might want to see them in full resolution. In any case, this probably isn't the best day to be asking this question since we had trouble with the bandwidth demands on our image server! :eek:

Unlike overly wide images, tall images don't mess up the formatting of a forum page, so we don't have a maximum in mind. I suggest doing a thought experiment: how tall would an image have to be before you'd be annoyed at having to scroll down past it to get to the next post if you weren't especially interested in the image? That's the maximum height to use!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks for the clarification. 800 x 3000 pixel it is then, as I assume everyone has two 30" display vertically stacked. :)