File size manager

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Supernerd, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Supernerd macrumors member

I am looking for a file size manager for the Mac. You know in iTunes, how you can see everything on your iDevice, and it shows what is taking up so much memory? I want something like that on the mac, except more intuitive, right down to the files and folders, just as a reference. Just so I can see what is taking up a lot of space. I just want to know because my Mac seemingly lost 500 gb of space in a matter of months. no idea how, but a tool like that would help me clear it up. I need the program to be free, as well.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity

3. Supernerd thread starter macrumors member

I think it is either some big, angry "free space" that contains the echoes of long-dead files (or whatever the technical explanation is, i just know that something like that often happens) for which there is a simple disk utility fix or my mom's photos and my dad's music. in her iPhoto library and his iTunes library, they each have well over 4,000 items. I will recommend moving those to the terabyte drive under our desk, and that should help. If there's anything left, i'm sure one of those programs will fix it up.