File size not working in Finder - anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kudukudu, Apr 9, 2009.

1. kudukudu macrumors regular

I have tried all of the combinations of settings I can think of. Currently I have the size column allows show up as well as having "calculate all sizes" enabled. I can always find the value I want with get info, but some of my directories and files display the size while others don't. I can't figure out any real pattern, aside from the following:

1. my non-bootable secondary hard drive doesn't display any sizes in Finder
    2. sometimes sizes will be displayed for a particular set of directories and files and sometimes they won't (this is not a case of not being patient enough for the values to be calculated). The only pattern here seems to be that all files in particular directory will show file size or none.
    3. sizes can not work in finder, but will show up in path finder or vice-versa.

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I too have this problem, and can always get the info with Cmd+I (Get Info), but seldom from the Finder window itself, or in Quick Look

Not sure what the cause of this issue is... Anyone?

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I think it's a known issue that OS X doesn't calculate file sizes a) quickly and b) consistently. Honestly I've just gotten so used to it that I don't notice it anymore- but yes, it is annoying and one of those "wtf?" things that should have been fixed a long time ago.