File Size - Ripping a DVD w/Handbrake

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LaJaca, Jan 7, 2008.

1. LaJaca macrumors regular

LaJaca

Greetings All:

I'm about to go ahead and use Handbrake to rip my DVD's into my iMac. I have 2 questions:

1) Overall, Handbrake seems to be very well liked - anyone out there with problems?
    2) How big a file should I expexct, ballpark, for a standard length movie?

Thanks in advance.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1.) No problems for me
    2.) Ultimately depends on the settings used can be anywhere from 400MB - 2+GB

You can set the file size that you would like to have and handbrake will rip it accordingly.

I set my to do h.264 with 2 pass and a bit rate of 2000. I get movies about 1.5GB in size.

3. wightstraker macrumors regular

I'd also consider using Mac the Ripper for full DVD rips, you can play the ripped files in DVD Player, and they'll be at full quality. Size will be 4.7 - 8.5GB, depending on if the disk is dual layer or not.

4. Macsterling macrumors regular

Macsterling

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

what is the advantage of doing 2 pass?? I always just use the iPod high rez preset and it takes the 2pass away. The quality is great when played on my tv and just kind of curious is all.