File 'Sorting' Apps

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hi all -

Can you recommend a good file 'sorting' app? Something that will run in the background and move files to certain folders based on a set of criteria such as file name or file type?

Thanks,
Sam.

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
That is true, however, I've seen app that does this. But I've forgotten the name.

ahasver

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2004
Jerusalem
agreed

Yeah I second the hazel vote. It is truly amazing and not that expensive.
Here is the link
I am not in any way affiliated with the developer of the app. I think it has free trial but I am not sure.

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Sweet, that's exactly what I am looking for.

Do you know if it's compatible with Snow Leopard?

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Arkansas
Smart Folders that are built into OS X will find just about any file meeting any criteria you want and save it to a folder.
To use open a new Finder window and select File > New Smart Folder.
In the resulting window click the plus sign then select "Other" from the first drop-down menu (the default selection is "Kind). There is about 150 different criteria you can select from.
Finder will immediately begin searching your Mac for any files that match the description. When you are ready to save your smart folder, select the "Save" button from the top right of the Finder window. You will then be asked to specify a save name and location and there is a check box to also put a copy in the Finder side bar..

SamNeeds

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks everyone.

Pomeroy; Smart Folders don't move the files though, they just display what they find.