File structure/folder query

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spunklemonkey, Dec 17, 2008.

1. spunklemonkey macrumors member

Ive been trying to install a codec to get xvid videos sound working but that doesnt seem to work but I noticed a confusing thing I thought someone could help with.

The macintosh HD has various folders in it, like applications and library, but the user folder also has a library. By default do most programs want to go in the macintosh HD or the user name one ? And do they relate to each other or are they completely seperate?

sorry if this is a stupid question! Its just sometimes programs say put in library folder but there are two and they dont seem to relate?

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

As you've probably figured out, the library folder on the root of your drive is shared between users, and the one inside your home folder is specific to you. Most applications on Macs are self-contained in your computer's Applications folder and save their settings to your user library. That way, other user accounts can use their own settings. Generally speaking, what can be saved to one library and used for your account can be saved to another and used for all accounts, but that's up to the application. Unless you really know what you're doing, you shouldn't mess around in there.

If you're still having trouble, you should think about getting the Perian pack. It's super easy to install and will play just about anything you throw at it, with the one exception being .mkv files, because QuickTime doesn't support the container.

3. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

Ah right thanks I see now, user settings only in that one so its different on other accounts.

Incidently I got the xvid to work using divx player as the codec for quicktime doesnt seem to fix it, but thats another query, lots of forum posts about it but the a52 codec link is down on the homepage:

http://trac.cod3r.com/a52codec/

Annoyingly no way to contact them to tell them, I eventually found another one of their pages and emailed them, but no reply...

Its a shame 4OD does not work on mac thats for sure, its an awful program anyway mind you.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Again, I think Perian would be a good solution.

5. spunklemonkey thread starter macrumors member

ah I didnt rsee the bit about the codec (dont know why sorry about that!) I contacted the guy doing the codec the other day and I noticed he has changed his broken link for the download, he now links to perian. He didnt bother to reply back to me but clearly he has changed it now so I downloaded that and it all works now!

cheers!