File Structure iPhoto 09 Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by happy2000hk, Mar 6, 2009.

1. happy2000hk macrumors newbie

Ever since I upgraded to iPhoto 09, I realized the original file structure in the iPhoto Library has changed back to Dates, rather than by Events, even though all my photos belong in a non-date event. This is the same as Iphoto 06. I got used to the Event structure in iPhoto 08.

all my previous events are still intact, but I have this problem for my new pics where if I put them in an event, the original file structure would be sorted by date. This is very annoying if I want to send an event to someone or if I'm using Front Row/Boxee to view a particular event. Does anyone have the same issue? I thought if I put a photo into an event, it would automatically update in the file structure immediately as well.

As you can see below, the first 2 events are sorted by event but everything else are in dates, even though I've put every single photo into a particular event in Iphoto 09. i.e, all the Jan 6, 2009 photos should belong in the 1st month sophia event folder.

Attached Files:

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Why does the underlying file structure matter? In Front Row, for example, you get Albums, then Events. If you change the name of the event, it'll replace the date.

What exactly is the problem you're having? If you want to send groups of photos to people, use Share or Export with that event selected. You absolutely never need to navigate the underlying photo structure, as doing so can lead to all sorts of problems if you move things around. Like this, for example.

3. happy2000hk thread starter macrumors newbie

When I use iPhoto in Front Row, it is sorted by the original underlying file structure and not by the Events in iPhoto. At least this is what's happening in my case. Also, there are times when I might need to go into the file structure to grab a file (i would just right click open package contents in iPhoto but I would never change anything in it). I wonder if anyone else out there has this issue?

4. jnelson macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. The pre-08 versions of iPhoto organized the photos by date, which was not very useful and painful to rummage through. With 08 came events and a new file structure. The files were organized by event, which in my opinion is a much better method. For some reason 09 went back to the old way of organization. Now most of my pictures are organized by events, and the new ones are organized by date... annoying.

Attached Files:

5. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

It's not a 'problem' - it's just how iPhoto 09 does it. Yes, I prefer the old way, where you can change the folder name, simply by editing the roll (because if you do multiple imports on the same day, you end up with a mess of incremented folders).

Regadless, it should be moot. You shouldn't really be looking around in the iPhoto library. If you need a photo, the idea is you open iPhoto, and grab the photo from there - drag it out o to the desktop, and it will make a copy, and do what you want. What are you doing with the images that requires navigating the folder structure? Especially since you have to choose whether you want to go into the modified and or original folders - Heck, can you remember every single photo you've edited to know where to look in your folder structure for an image?

ALso in Front Row, I don't ever see the folder structure. It either shows me my events or my albums.

6. hjille macrumors newbie

mrkgoo - You are too narrowminded.

Look at my issue.

I want my iPhoto Libary on my Portable, which is my main computer. This is not always online. My NAS is, so i want the iPhoto library Mirrored to my NAS. A way to do this is to rsync the Original and the Modified Catalogs over to the NAS.

so far so good. Except. My original photos where lacking date information. So they ended up a wrong folder structure. Easily fixed in iPhoto where I just changed this for multiple files in at time. But this change was not reflected in the folder structure which is now mirrored to the NAS, hence. it is hard to find these photos from my XBoxes and other renderers connected to my network.

If someone could write a 'iPhoto 8 folder structure builder' tool I would be a very happy customer...

(My Work Macbook with the previous version works like a charm with mirroring)

7. amagab macrumors newbie

I am too really irritated by this change in '09. I use Picasa to edit and upload my photos stored in iPhoto. The iPhoto Events used to be listed as Picasa folders. Now it's all screwed up because it will put them in folders by date instead of Event name. I used to think that is was a Picasa problem until I looked in the iPhoto folder structure. Because of this, I am now going to scrap iPhoto and go strictly Picasa.

8. DJFriar macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as well now. I had always assumed iPhoto was cleaning up after itself, and wanted to play with Picasa. Once i imported the iPhoto albums, the mess the structure made became apparent. Now I'm not sure what way I want to go, as I "think" like iPhoto works, but I really like the speed of Picasa. If iPhoto worked as it used to, then this wouldn't be a problem, but now its become a pain in the rear.

If I may ask, how is switching to Picasa going? My first attempt wasn't pretty, second one worked better, but I lost all the tags. Am attempting a 3rd time now, but still a little lost with it I guess.

9. Pomeroy macrumors 6502

Pomeroy

If you just want you Events to show by name just change the Sort Order back to Title and not Date. If you are trying to organize just using Events you are missing a lot of iPhotos strong points. Try adding Keywords (command k) to your photos as soon as you import then into Events. Next make some Smart Albums with rules to collect the photos. Lets say I have a photo of Uncle Bob that I took on vacation in 2003 at Blue Lake in Idaho, I would add the Key Words, Blue Lake, Family, Vacation and Idaho (we travel a lot so I have Smart folders for each State).
    I can now find that picture several ways and not have to remember what Event it is in. Select "Photos" in the side bar under Library and type Uncle Bob or Family or Idaho or Blue Lake or Vacations in the Search bar at the bottom of iPhoto. I could even sort my whole library by Date and scroll down to about the time I took the picture. There are many ways to find a photo Fast with just a few key strokes if you give some thought to how you want to organize your photos. Uncle Bob could show up in several Smart Albums, but you would still only have two Pictures of him, the Original and a Modified, well there is a small thumbnail of each too. The hardest parts of using iPhoto , for me anyway, was giving up the idea of Folders (Events) and letting iPhoto do it's thing.

Attached Files: