File Structures in OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AnimaLeo, May 28, 2011.

1. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

Okay, so I've recently made the jump to Mac. Got the hang of pretty much everything, except for organising file structures. In Windows this was very simple and easy to do. But in OS X is just doesn't work anywhere near as well. Is this just because I'm used to Windows and will eventually get used to doing things the Apple way or do you guys have any specific tips on how to sort through photo albums, downloaded music etc etc.

2. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Could you elaborate on what you mean by "File Structures"? because I honestly have no idea.

3. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

For example, this is how my Photography folder is organised.

Photography - Year - Month - date - RAW files + Edit - JPEGs of my photoshop edits.

4. AdrianK macrumors 68020

But what does a '-' and a '+' denote? A new folder?

Are you talking about Windows 7's 'libraries' feature, by any chance?

5. AnimaLeo thread starter macrumors 6502

To put it another way:

I have a folder named Photography, within that I have three folders named 2009, 2010 and 2011, within each of those folders I have one folder for each month, January, February, March etc. Within each of those folders I have the date I shot those specific photos. So for example March 10th. Then within that folder I have my RAW files, typically about 100, but also in that folder I have one more folder named Edit, this is where I keep my edited JPEGs.

I used to use Windows XP.

6. Orleafy macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

The mac works the same way, just make those year folders in the photos folder and then tell the folder to sort by date or is you want more use iphoto.

Wez.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Is your question actually to do with iPhoto and the way it (not Mac) organises photos? because otherwise you could do exactly the same as you did on XP so I dont understand your question.

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

There is basically no difference between the two systems, i.e. Folders > Sub-folders > Files.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I think most modern systems use this type of folder organization. Every *NIX system I've worked with used the Folder>subfolder....>file organization. Solaris, PrimOS, BSD, VOS, GCOS, Multics, etc.. all worked that way. Some use the ">" to separate names, some used "/". The difference usually shows up when you think about the root name. Windows used A: (floppy drive), B: (2nd floppy), C: (1st HDD), etc. Others used "^" (IIRC) to denote the base.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

If you haven't found it already - set the "Save" dialogue to show more info. Maybe this is what you are referring to.

Open up any application (Text Edit, eg)
    Click to "Save As" to bring up the dialogue.
    Do you see that little triangle to the right of the name of file field? Click it.
    Either the dialogue box expanded - now you can save files with more control (note the Create New Folder option, bottom left). Or the dialogue contracted, so click the triangle to restore it.

I pretty sure that this change is saved system-wide. And hopefully helps to solve your problem. Note that there is a similar triangle when you print, and the expanded dialogue is actually useful.

If you are using iPhoto, Aperture, or Lightroom you don't need to organize your images - the application does it. And, imho, you should be using keywords instead of dates to find those images. There are some good threads here on that topic.... just go searching for them.

If you aren't using iP/Ap/Lr - why not? I think iPhoto still comes free, and Aperture off of the App Store is way cheap.

Hope this helps.... if not, we'll need some more detail because I don't think we understand what the problem is.