File Swapping on 2 Internal Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LiquidSnake, Jan 10, 2012.

1. LiquidSnake macrumors newbie

Hi, just recently installed an OWC 120 GB SSD in my 2006 MacBook Pro. Awesome upgrade I might add! I am a professional DJ, and download a lot of music from my DJ Promo websites in addition to monthly CDs. Before this Hard Drive upgrade, I had the regular 100gb 5400 HDD, and a 500 GB Firewire External. So basically replaced the original internal and added a secondary hard drive with the OptiBay kit.

I have read that writing/erasing a lot on SSD's aren't very healthy for them, but when I download songs and music videos, it goes directly onto the SSD in the Downloads folder. Is there any way I can move the downloads folder over to the secondary hard drive inside my MacBook Pro? So that when I download new music/videos/whatever else I want to download, it will go there instead?

My concern is if I moved the folder, could it break the "Automatically Add to iTunes" link? I use Serato to DJ with, which uses the iTunes database, so it is always a very simple transfer. Before it would download onto my internal and automatically add to iTunes, which my iTunes library was on my external.

How would I go about moving the downloads folder over? Or would I be better off making a new "Downloads" folder on the secondary drive?

2. unixperience macrumors regular

how do you download music? Obviously not with itunes or you wouldn't be worried about syncing with itunes :p but depending on the program i, or others may be able to give you more directed help

but most programs have an option of chaning where downloads go to, just much around in the preferences (and heres a hint if you didn't know pressing command+comma will open the preferences for just about every mac program). change the path to somewhere on the second harddrive. Hopefully it is jsut THAT easy.

3. LiquidSnake thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick response!

Majority of my downloads come straight from Safari, as the Promo websites don't have any specific program setup or anything. iTunes would default to the second hard drive, the only other one I'll sometimes order from is Amazon, though I am not too sure where it will default to.

Since like 95% of what I download is Music on this laptop anyway, I'll go ahead and just create another "download" folder, set safari to default to that folder, and clean it out periodically to take care of the duplicates.

I just want to be sure that it will Automatically Add to iTunes even if its not the "downloads" folder

4. NazgulRR macrumors 6502

There is a way to "sim link" your Downloads folder on your main drive to your other drive. Best option for you & least amount of work/thinking to do in the future. Though I'm not the one who can explain this best for you.