File sync suggestion.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by unfinishedCode, Mar 4, 2014.

1. unfinishedCode, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014

unfinishedCode macrumors newbie

unfinishedCode

I have a web design business. We have 2 employees, my partner and I. We each have a mac mini running the latest OSx, and we each need to have an synced folder.

Right now we are accomplishing this with Dropbox. It has it's flaws, but works well. The whole 'conflicted copies' thing is troublesome, to say the least.

Alternatively, I could get a local server. But for only two computers, that seems like a waste.

I would like to have a perfect solution though. I am probably not the only one with these requirements, seems like a common enough situation. Are there any Maverick-based solutions? Maybe a service suggestion?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As long as you're both working on the same file you'll have file conflicts no matter what you choose to sync with.

3. unfinishedCode thread starter macrumors newbie

unfinishedCode

I am aware of this. I am always getting conflicted copies even when a file hasn't been opened for quite sometime on either computer.

That is irrelevant to this thread though. I am merely looking for advice, or suggestion(s), for syncing two computers.

Does iCloud offer something like this? Macs are full of little goodies, like smart folders or mounting images natively. I assumed there would be a sweet 'sync service' in the OS, or at the least some preferred 3rd part solution.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Are these files web page files? If so, are you using any type of repository/Subversion for for them? This can be cloud based. You can work on both at the same time with no conflicts. Then when you commit the file it will look at the changes and let you pick how you want to apply them.

http://tortoisesvn.net/

With

https://unfuddle.com/signup

Free account.

If not, are you just sharing word documents etc?

5. unfinishedCode thread starter macrumors newbie

unfinishedCode

I have thought of setting up git repo for us, but the option that we are currently using, seems more seamless. Don't get me wrong, I use GIT for larger projects, but it would be way too time consuming to check out or commit individual files every time.

It is a mix of all sorts of files. Some are administrative, others are client files. From spreadsheets to to web projects, there is a mix.

6. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I like BitTorrent Sync... free, fast, encrypted, no size restriction, and nothing stored in the cloud.

7. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i use chronosync to sync to a server computer at home similar needs as yourself, and have not had any issues with it so far.

8. notrack macrumors 6502

I use Wuala to sync selected folders between my macs. iCloud, although ideal for this task, unfortunately is worthless because it's not accessable via Finder.

Another alternative is tonido which is a easy to use server style construct on your macs.

The easiest way would be to just enable one or more shared folders on your macs that contain the files. Your files would be on one of your macs but accessable by both.