Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dobdobby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2011
Hi all,

My MbP HD recently corrupted and I hadn't backed up for a while (now I know the value of 30s setting up time machine!) but I managed to copy everything to an external USB drive in single-user mode, format the HD and reinstall OS X.

The data appears to have transferred fine and is perfectly usable, and I now want to migrate my old system onto my new system to keep all my apps etc. Unfortunately being a bit of a computer luddite I hadn't considered file systems when backing up. The backup disc is a .dmg but in FAT32 format, which I assume is the reason Migration Assistant doesn't recognise it as an importable entity.

Is there a way to convert this FAT32 .dmg to HFS+ ?? At the moment I'm copying the image to an HFS+ drive to see what mounting it there will do.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
There's a command-line utility that can convert images to and from various formats, and perform various changes on DMG files. It's called hdiutil. Read about its features and syntax for its use here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.