Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djhomefries

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
First off, thanks for keeping this boards helpful and informative, especially to brand new PC -> Mac user.

I am planning on installing bootcamp Windows 7 on my new Macbook Pro Retina when it arrives. I want to set aside the minimum hard-drive space for the operating system - perhaps 15-20 gigs. My questions are:

1) While I'm in Windows, will I be able to access files on the Mac OSX partition?

2) If I set aside 20 gigs for my bootcamp partition, will I be able to increase or decrease the size of the partition later? For example, if I need space for a game?

Thanks!

afi1

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
First off, thanks for keeping this boards helpful and informative, especially to brand new PC -> Mac user.

I am planning on installing bootcamp Windows 7 on my new Macbook Pro Retina when it arrives. I want to set aside the minimum hard-drive space for the operating system - perhaps 15-20 gigs. My questions are:

1) While I'm in Windows, will I be able to access files on the Mac OSX partition?

2) If I set aside 20 gigs for my bootcamp partition, will I be able to increase or decrease the size of the partition later? For example, if I need space for a game?

Thanks!

I've just made the move from windows to mac.
1. Yes you can view the file system within windows
2. AFAIK, I don't think you can change partition size as whenever you open boot camp again, it only gives you the option of removing windows but I could be wrong( there's probably 3rd party software that does the job)

Oldcabdriver

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2012
Northern Virginia
One other installation suggestion . . .

READ THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY and follow them in sequence to the letter. On this and other sites there is no shortage of folks with installation problems. My own chief hurdle was getting past the "Windows Support Files" download. It's absolutely critical to do that and to install those files before proceeding with the rest of install.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
15-20GB is far too small for Windows 7. The OS by itself needs at least 30-40 GB in my experience. There may be ways to lower that, but I'm not aware of them.

I would just use Windows in a VM like VMWare or Parallels if you're not planning on playing games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.