File tagging application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wheelie4, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Wheelie4, Aug 2, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2013

Wheelie4 macrumors regular

Wheelie4

I've never used tags before the tag files but after hearing Maverick will be incorporating tagging I got curious about it. I'm finding this option interesting and want to start using it. I'm sure Mavericks tagging option will be kind of minimalist so I thought about trying some current applications that uses the standard OpenMeta for tagging.

I currently have Leap and Together applications which can do tagging but I want to try something a little more systemwide.

If anybody out there is are using tagging applications could you please mention the application you use and why you prefer it over others? Your input is greatly appreciated. :)

2. Xe89, Aug 2, 2013

Xe89 macrumors regular

I use Quicksilver to browse the file system, so it's natural for me to also use it to read and write Openmeta tags (with the Openmeta Quicksilver plugin).

I also use Default Folder X. With that I can read and write tags in Save dialogues.

Sometimes I let Hazel automatically write tags for me.

3. Wheelie4, Aug 2, 2013

Wheelie4 thread starter macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Thanks for the info. I did not know Quicksilver could add tags to files. I will check that out. I tried Hazel by setting up a rule to a folder to add comments but it adds spotlight comments to the files info rather than a tag. Although a tag and a comment is similar they are different.

One extra feature I was looking for in a tagging application was to be able to add tags to multiple files at one time

4. Xe89 macrumors regular

The Openmeta support in Hazel is unofficial I think, you have to install the Openmeta commandline tool:

http://code.google.com/p/openmeta/downloads/detail?name=openmeta_commandline_1.3.0.zip>

Btw Quicksilver can act on several files at once. That includes not only deleting or moving the files themselves, but also adding or removing Openmeta tags :)

5. Wheelie4 thread starter macrumors regular

Wheelie4

Thank you jojoba and Xe89. I checked out Tags and until I know how integrated and capable tagging will be in Mavericks, I'm a hold off paying that price but I will install the demo and check it. I'll also check the other two options. :)

6. dailyazna macrumors newbie

One extra feature I was looking for in a tagging application was to be able to add tags to multiple files at one time[​IMG]