File transfer and printing, and OS 4.0

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Manatee, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Manatee macrumors 6502

Manatee

I followed the OS 4.0 presentation on a couple of sites. I saw some things I really liked, but I came away with a couple of huge disappointments.

Printing... not a clue. It seems odd that they released their office apps with no way to print. Still scratching my head that. It's getting easier, though, as my hair is thinning.

File system: My greatest wish and need. Based on what Steve said about the concept of a task manager today, I figure they feel the same way about exposing file management to the user. That's really fine with me, though. Just give me a conceptual "My Documents"-type of folder where I can copy files to/from, and open files from apps that choose to let the user make use of the common folder. I don't care how Apple actually implements it. It doesn't have to be like anything I've ever known as a file system. I just want a place on the device where I can:
    1. Share documents among applications
    2. Directly copy from/to other file stores (like an SD card or cloud storage)

Regardless of what Steve may think, the concept of "files" still needs to be supported if we're going to use these devices to do office-oriented work and share it with our Macs and PCs. They can minimize support for it, but they should support it, and make it as easy as possible for the user -- in the Apple tradition.

Now that the iPad is here, I wish Apple would move away from their paradigm of "this thing can't stand on its own -- it has to be tethered to a real computer". Let us transfer files and print just by interacting with a network or peripheral device -- no "mother ship" computer needed. Steve, dude, the iPad (and the iPhone) is a computer!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Agree with you that the lack of printing @ launch is a head scratcher and reduces the productivity value of iWorks for iPad. That said, keep in mine that iPhone 4.0, which is what was shown off today is only for iPhone and touch. iPad comes this fall, most likely as 4.1, and most likely w/ features like printing. Perfect timing for the holiday gift season. 4.1 will be like a whole new iPad to suck in those who remain on the fence.

3. al256 macrumors 6502a

al256

We'll have to wait for the iPad's version of 4.0 which I'm sure will be shown off at WWDC. By then I'll buy another year of developer access and will load the 4.0 onto my iPad. Oh Apple.. I just keep throwing money at you.

4. Ganesha macrumors regular

5. bjobes macrumors regular

Id really like to bring them into my company but they would need to have native local folder storage and printing capabilities before I could offer them.

My non-tech (sales)people would have a coronary trying to save and print stuff. I hope that changes come July

6. jmggs macrumors regular

jmggs

i guess the file transfer will be in version 8 or later. my 50€ phone can do file transfer over bluetooth. i guess its too difficult toooo implement that in ipad or iphone. its like the same about copy and paste, and video calls etc....

Apple have made great things but the lack of some are so unbelievable.....that must be a joke.

7. ImperialX macrumors 65816

ImperialX

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Oddly, everyone that has seen DD's iPad this past week - the FIRST thing they ask is, "Can you print from it?"

I'da sold 4 if you could have printed direct from Pages.

Time for more feedback!

9. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

+1

10. sharp65 macrumors 6502

I realized they added the ability to open mail attachments in applications from the app store. This is something that was sorely needed. You could now open attached pdfs, docs, etc.. with dropbox or another program like good reader, pending they add support for it.

11. infosprt macrumors regular

I agree, the lack of file and print services is very frustrating for a device positioned between a phone and notebook (my positioning).

I want to use this thing on the road updating blogs and sending photos but can do neither without some kind of kludge email routing or app. File systems have been in personal computers pretty much since day one. How is it at all user friendly not to have one.

12. pondie84 macrumors 6502a

Couldn't this be used as a defacto 'file system'? You could attach your document/image/whatever to an email and mail it to yourself, then use it to open it from another App, for instance a printing App and print it?

Not ideal, but it's certainly a stop-gap in the meantime.

Or am I just misunderstanding things :p

13. sharp65 macrumors 6502

No I agree, thats how I understood it as well. I'm not sure if an app can register itself with a certain file type or what. But this can definitely bridge the gap.