Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Senator

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Virginia
i need help with transfering files and ringtones with my new verizon razr v3m i know i need to do something to my phone to make it out

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
w_parietti22 said:
I dont know if you can... I think I remember hearing that verizon has the Bluetooth disable on the Razr.
On my razr v3c I am able to connect the phone to my imac and transfer files via obex. I transfer full mp3's (only 2 will fit at a time) and take pictures off of the phone as well as movies I have taken with it. Just enable bluetooth on the phone, then the mac, go to bluetooth>setupbluetooth device> mobilephone> (enter the passkey)>bluetooth>Browse device(not send file)> pick the file and destination folder then press send.

pretty simple on the V3c But it should be simillar on the V3m.
Good Luck!
-dsm

bdc

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
The OBEX transfer is disabled by Verizon on the V3M. (as are a few other features).

It is possible to enable it, but I'm pretty sure it voids your warranty and it's not for the feint of heart to attempt it anyway. Also (at least for CMDA phones) it still requires a PC to get the job done* -- but after it's done, it should work to exchange files on your Mac as you described (Browse Device).

I can send you some relevant links (not sure if I can post them on the forum), but again, it is definitely at your own risk to attempt to modify the phone in such a way.

*note: there is equivalent software for Macs to get the job done, it is however pretty broken at this time.

bdc

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
Quote from VZW website:

*The Silver RAZR V3m supports the following Bluetooth Profiles: headset, handsfree, serial port and dial up networking. It does not support Bluetooth object transfer (OBEX) profiles. See Bluetooth for details. Accessories sold separately.​

Sorry for the bad news....

ccourt4

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2006
BDC, any chance I could get those links too? I'm having the same problem. It's pretty cheap of Verizon to disable the bluetooth...

bdc

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
ccourt4 said:
BDC, any chance I could get those links too? I'm having the same problem. It's pretty cheap of Verizon to disable the bluetooth...

I spoke too soon regarding bluetooth. If you want that, you have to flash your v3m with a firmware that makes it essentially a v3c. Meaning, you loose the transflash (microSD) and the media player built into the v3m.

For me, OBEX was worth it. Actually I reflashed to a non-verizon firmware (you have to then hack the phone to use any verizon data services... doable, but takes some time).

Some v3m specifc info here: http://www.motov3m.com
Some Mac-centric info here: mac.themotoguide.com
If you decide to flash: http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Motorola_V3c_Tutorial:_Flashing_to_Alltel_User_Interface

*note you can flash a v3m down to a v3c and regain OBEX bluetooth, (but not OPP bluetooth -- an alltel reflash is needed for that), following the same ideas in the wiki above -- skip the "repair for verizon" stuff since the v3c image is a verizon firmware.

Standard disclaimer: YOU WILL BE VOIDING WARRANTY AND SUPPORT IF YOU MOD YOUR PHONE. I AM NOT LIABLE FOR ANYTHING YOU DO WITH THIS INFORMATION*.

That said, I reflashed my v3m and am quite happy (I now can't use media player nor the expansion memory, but OBEX was more important for me).

*The above URLS do not contain any illegal software that I know of; changing your phone is not illegal in itself (but does void warranty/support); if your changes allow you to circumvent your TOS contract with your provider and you exercise that capability, you have violated a contract and may be susceptible to penalities. Some software mentioned on the sites above is strictly proprietary and/or only commercially available. I'm not responsible if you find it on google somehow.

are7

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2006
v3m and file transfer

whats the difference between flashing a phone and a seem edit?

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Just curious about this as well. I purchased a Verizon Razr yesterday, but have the opportunity to trade it out for a couple of days if I'm not happy with it. I was really hoping to end up with a new phone that would allow for BT transfers.

Are there any other Verizon phones that might be worth looking at, or should I just forget it and enjoy the Razr?

slashlos

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2006
These United States
Well I just got a v3m, and a little miff'd about the Verizon hacks. I can easily, sync my contacts with iSync, via usb (tiger, dual g4/450). It fails doing calendar fails with a known error but I have a pda for that.

I think like a lot of folksm I'd rather not violate my phone but instead focus on what I can do. I hope this means using the microSD card. Have to get one to try.

For me anyway the phone is way better than my last (v60, yeah it was 2 yrs ago ;-)) as I can now backup my contacts.
--
/los "I was a teenage net-random"

Jomoma

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2005
seem edits

I've done a seem edit on a e815 to enable OBEX with verizon without any problems, so I'll be doing it to my new v3m soon also. It's really very easy, you just follow the instructions. If you can copy and paste text you can do a seem edit, it's just changing a line or two in some files in the phone through a PC only program. Check out howardforums for detailed instructions.

Does anyone know what happens if they catch you with a seem edit? I had my e815 in the store and the sales guy was using it to set up another line, but he never noticed the changes. But I wonder what would they/ could they do?

ironic23

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2006
DMPDX said:
On my razr v3c I am able to connect the phone to my imac and transfer files via obex. I transfer full mp3's (only 2 will fit at a time) and take pictures off of the phone as well as movies I have taken with it. Just enable bluetooth on the phone, then the mac, go to bluetooth>setupbluetooth device> mobilephone> (enter the passkey)>bluetooth>Browse device(not send file)> pick the file and destination folder then press send.

pretty simple on the V3c But it should be simillar on the V3m.
Good Luck!
-dsm

i tried doing this on my v3c but it doesnt seem to work. any idea why?

regrob2

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2006
File transfer and verizon razr v3m

The reason some V3cs work for OBEX and some don't is because early V3cs did not have the crippled firmware. If you have one that does not work, you need ot flash it to the earlier firmware. (Again, this probably voids the Verizon warranty and terms of service.)

guitar king

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2007
i can sync contacts and calendar information, but i can't put music on my v3m with bluetooth. it's very annoying. if i have to modify the phone, i think it's just worth it to use the cord. sorry for not typing caps, but my shift keys and caps lock keys don't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.